Derrington is an attractive Village that lies about 3 miles west of the County Town of Stafford, which has rural character surrounded by countryside and agricultural land, a Wood and Millennium Green. There are about 320 properties with a population of approximately 720. Derrington retains a true village identity and supportive community with a thriving Village Hall at its heart providing many activities for people of all ages. Historic buildings from the 1600s through to the present day demonstrates Derrington’s long-term presence in the area.
The Doomsday Book records Derrington as Dodintone, and other early spellings are Dodinton and Dudingtun. The first element must be the known Saxon personal name Dudda, the second element inga, meaning ‘belonging to the family/followers/people of (someone)’, and the third element tun, meaning ‘farmstead’. The name therefore translates as ‘the farmstead belonging to the family of Dudda’. When and why the name changed to Derrington is unknown.
Our Village Hall was built on land given to the village by a local farmer, Mr. F. Hodkinson, in 1931, and it was constructed over the next five years by a group of villagers, opening in 1936. Attached to the Village Hall is a Private Members Social Club which opened in 1982 and is run as a separate business serving the community and surrounding area.
The picturesque Church of St. Matthew’s was built and endowed at the personal expense of the Reverend Charles Smith Royds MA and was consecrated in 1847. Designed by Henry Ward, a local architect from Stafford who was also architect for the Borough Hall in Eastgate Street (now the Gatehouse Theatre), it is built of stone in a decorated style, with a campanile and bell turret. On the north wall of the nave a tablet commemorates villagers who gave their lives in the two world wars.
We are proud of our Millennium Green which is an area adjacent to the village where wildlife is encouraged to thrive unhindered, and where anyone can sit, or wander around totally at their own pace taking a breather from today’s bustling life-style.
At a time when local communities were being encouraged to turn waste areas into something more useful and attractive, land became available for just such an idea.
With the help of Government funding during the ‘Open Spaces’ scheme for the new Millennium, and other grants that were available, vigorous fundraising locally, plus lots of hard work, Derrington now has one of the larger Millennium Greens in the Country.
We also have our own ‘Duddas Wood, a 23 acre broadleaf woodland, created as part of the Millennium Woods on your Doorstep Scheme.
Along with the Woodland Trust, local children and adults were instrumental in the creation of Duddas Wood, even enlisting the help of Her Royal Highness Princess Anne who planted a Black Poplar when she officially opened the wood in December 2000. Bearing the old village name, the wood offers wonderful views of Stafford Castle from its rides and open spaces while the wood’s eastern boundary bank is thought to have marked the edge of the castle’s deer park and can be accessed through kissing gates, squeeze posts and gates at seven points around the boundaries.
The Greenway is the old dis-used railway line which ran from Stafford to Newport which has been turned into a cycle/footway.
The Greenway is now a fantastic ‘green corridor’, host to lots of wildlife, with foxes, badgers and numerous kinds of small mammals, insects, birds and bats. Look out for the white rabbits that have lived around the area for many years, in spite of the thriving local buzzard population!
We hope you enjoy our website. If you have any queries or would like to contribute to it in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us